As if I needed another reason to love steel-cut oats, now I can make them without cooking at all. It’s all thanks to the brilliant minds over at The Kitchn.
Unlike the more commonly available rolled oats, steel-cut oats–also called Scotch, Irish or Pinhead oats–are the whole oat grain, or groat, that is has been cut into thirds (with, you guessed it, a steel blade).
Although both rolled and steel cut oats are equal in nutrition, porridge made from steel cut oats has a particularly toothsome, hearty texture.
It’s mighty fine eating, especially (1) when drizzled with maple syrup and scattered with berries, and (2) it’s freezing cold outside.
The downside? It’s pushing 100 degrees this time of year, back-to-school crazy mornings have returned, and even if my mornings were carefree and cozy, it takes about 30 minutes to stir up a batch of steel-cut porridge.
Enter no-cook, overnight steel-cut oats.
It’s as easy as this:
Step 1: Combine the oats and milk in a covered container.
Step 2: Refrigerate oats overnight.
Step 3: Eat.
Yep, cold steel-cut cuts. The texture is markedly different from cooked steel cut oats, but it’s a great variation, somewhat akin to Grape Nuts. They are chewy, satisfying, filling (as in, you will not be hungry until, oh, 2 p.m.), empowering (e.g., 10 mile run? No problem!), ideal for hot weather, portable, easy, fast, scrumptious, and so versatile. I like adding some vanilla protein powder and a pinch of salt, then topping with fruits and seeds in the a.m.
I am loving these oats–I hope you will, too!
- 2 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy) or water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- Optional add-ins:
- ½ scoop whey or vegan protein powder (any flavor)
- ½ cup chopped dried fruit (e.g., apricots, cherries, cranberries, raisins)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of fine sea salt
- Optional toppings:
- Additional milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- Fresh or dried fruit
- Nuts or seeds
- Sweetener of choice (e.g., maple syrup, honey, Turbinado sugar)
- In a small covered container or thermos, combine the milk, oats, and any optional add-ins, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days.
- Serve cold, topped with any of the suggested toppings, as desired.
*Be sure to use certified gluten-free oats if you wish this to be gluten-free.