Merry Christmas everyone!
To commemorate the day in delicious style, I offer you my latest cookie creation, an Indian-inspired thumbprint cookie.
I developed this cookie for a recipe contest, but despite being utterly fabulous (all humility aside), it did not capture a prize. But all the better, because the recipe remains my own and I am able to offer it to all of you, dear readers.
The cookie dough portion of this cookie is no surprise to anyone who know my tastes for sweets: I adore cardamom, cashews, brown sugar and and lime, so why not combine them in one morsel? When I opted to use coconut oil (I am still in the experimentation stage with this luscious stuff) instead of butter, I came close to collapsing in bliss.
I considered jam, marmalade and curd for the filling, but I wanted some “wow.” Welcome coconut-lime dark chocolate. And because Christmas cookies need some bling, a sprinkle of red mukhwas (don’t they look like tiny Christmas ornaments?) and a pinch of finely grated lime zest.
Joy to the world!
Cardamom-Cashew Thumbprints with Chocolate-Lime Ganache
Recipe by:: Camilla
Recipe type: Cookies, Dessert
Serves: 30 cookies
- ½ cup roasted, lightly salted cashews
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup virgin coconut oil (e.g., Spectrum brand)
- 2 tsp (packed) finely grated lime zest
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose GF flour blend (regular all-purpose flour may be used)
- ½ cup Turbinado sugar
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil (e.g., Spectrum brand)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Optional garnishes: Indian red mukhwas (tiny candies), finely grated lime zest
- Process cashews, brown sugar, cardamom and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Add ¾ cup coconut oil and zest; pulse until blended and smooth. Add the flour, pulsing until a soft dough begins to form. Transfer dough to a medium bowl.
- Place Turbinado sugar in a shallow dish. Roll dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar to coat. Place on wax paper-lined platter and gently press fingertip into each ball to create a depression. Cover and refrigerate cookies at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Remove cookies from refrigerator and arrange 1-inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake 18 to 22 minutes until golden and just set. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- When cookies are cool, prepare filling: Put chocolate and remaining 4 tbsp coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl . Microwave on medium power for 1 to 2 minutes; stir after the first minute, then stop and stir every 20 seconds until completely melted and smooth. Whisk in lime juice. Fill the depression of each cookie with chocolate mixture. If desired, garnish with mukhwas and lime zest. Chill 5 minutes to set ganache.
Note: You can buy mukhwas at Indian grocery stores or from online stores such as amazon.com.