Homemade KIND Bars {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

kind-bars 1

It’s no secret that I like to make and eat energy bars. Even in a household of three, it gets too pricey to buy them (between working out and packed lunches, we go through a lot). Moreover, I love that with homemade versions I can tweak the bars to my liking (almost endlessly) and that I have control over what’s going in to their creation. I’ve developed and shared a number of energy bars here, including my riffs on Homemade Lara Bars and Homemade Clif Bars, but that hasn’t stopped people from asking (often and a lot!) if I could develop a homemade version of  KIND Bars. At long last, here they are.

It took multiple tries to get the ratios correct; I’m used to making chewy, as opposed to crisp-ish bars. But I used the ingredients on the labels of the bars as my guide and a few delicious stumbles later (the failed attempts were still yummy, even if they did not stick together), I’ve got it! And here’s equally appealing news: they are incredibly easy to make with very few ingredients.

Nevertheless, be sure to read all of my tips and cautions before you jump in. For example, lining the pan with foil–and giving it a spritz of cooking spray (you could grease the foil, too) is critical, as is (a) cutting the bars before they are completely cool (they will break apart if you cut them fully cooled–not a terrible thing, but you’ll have uneven portions and a lot of crumbles) and (b) waiting until the bars are completely cool before attempting to peel off the foil (the bars will stick like barnacles when warm, but peel off with ease when cooled).

But that’s it! You can recreate the flavor blends of existing KIND bars (their websites include ingredient lists of all of the flavors), or mastermind your own combinations. Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s time for a coffee break and a homemade bar. Enjoy–and let me know if you try them! I would love to link your experiments to this page to share with all.

When the bars first come out, they will not look set; don’t worry.
Let them cool in the pan at room temperature for about
15 minutes and they will hold together (but will still be soft enough to cut).
While the bars are still slightly warm and pliable (about 15 minutes of cooling), use the foil overhang to
lift them from the pan. Do not–repeat, DO NOT!–try to remove them from the foil at this point.
They will stick like crazy and can pull apart. Patience, grasshopper.
With a large sharp knife, cut into 8 equal-size bars (or smaller pieces,
whatever you prefer). Now, let cool completely.
Ta-da! Once the bars are completely cooled, they will lift right off of the foil!
And there you have it! Wrap these up snug. I like to use wax paper or parchment; foil is fine,
but be sure to keep them in a dry, cool place; if the bars heat up (e.g., tucked into your backpack that is
exposed to the sun for a long period, the bars will become slightly sticky/tacky
and can stick to the foil. It’s not a problem with wax paper or parchment; plus they
look so cute in little paper packages–simply secure with a piece of tape).

Homemade KIND Bars {Gluten-Free, Vegan}

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe by::
Recipe type: Energy Bars
Serves: 10
Ingredients
  • 1-1/3 cups toasted or raw nuts or seeds, coarsely chopped
  • ¼ cup crisp rice cereal (Erewhon brand for Gluten-free, or Rice Krispies)
  • ⅓ cup chopped dried fruit (any variety/combination to create different tastes; this also includes unsweetened coconut)
  • ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
  • ¼ cup brown rice syrup or organic corn syrup (e.g., Wholesome Sweeteners brand)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line an 8-inch square pan (9-inch is too big* see note below) with foil and lightly spray with (do not skip these steps!).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the chopped nuts/seeds, and dried fruit. Add the salt and syrup and stir to coat.
  3. Scrape/dump mixture into prepared pan. Now, to press it out evenly: Tear off a good size piece of foil (around the size of the pan or slightly smaller). Lightly spray it with nonstick spray. Use the sprayed side of foil to press and spread evenly into pan. Works like a charm!
  4. Bake for 18 minutes (the bars will not be hard at this point). Place pan on cooling rack and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes (give or take) until partially set up (it will depend on how hot or cold the kitchen—just don’t cool completely). Use the sides of foil to lift the bars from the pan. Do not try to remove from foil—they will stick like crazy. Cut into 10 bars.
  5. Go and do something else until bars are completely cooled. Once cooled, the bars will lift right off of the foil. Wrap in parchment or wax paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Notes
Variation

Just Nuts KIND Bars: Follow recipe above but omit the dried fruit; increase the nuts to 2 cups.

Notes
Note about Toasted vs. Raw Nuts: I am a big fan of the toasted nut. You can use either raw or toasted in these bars, but seriously…they are so much yummier if you toast the nuts first! If you, like me, experience burst of laziness, feel free to use roasted nuts (seeds, too). If they are lightly salted, just be sure to omit the added salt.

Note about Measuring Nuts: Measure the nuts BEFORE you chop (i.e., 1 cup unchopped nuts, then chop them). If you measure 1 cup chopped nuts, you will have too many.

Note about Measuring Dried Fruit: Conversely to measuring nuts, here you want to chop the fruit first, and then measure.

Note about Pans: If you don’t have the correct pan size, don’t fret. If you have a 9-inch pan, you can increase all of the quantities slightly (e.g., about 1-2/3 to 1-3/4 cups total nuts and seeds, ½ cup dried fruit, ⅓ cup syrup). Cooking times remain the same. And if you only have a round pan, use it! Who says these have to be cut into rectangles? Wedges or crazy shapes are pretty cool and every bit as delicious.

Comments

1. says

I’m a little confused. You have two recipes for the fruit and nut combo with two different quantities for nuts? Thanks so much for the recipe though!

2. says

Thanks for catching that, Jem! It’s corrected now; let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. These are so yummy!

3. says

Thanks for posting this Camilla! I’ve recently discovered the Kind bars, and they are SO good! I’ve been thinking about starting to try my own snack bars. Hope the family is doing well! I miss you all!

4. says

Hi Day-Dreamin Optimist! So glad you took the time to comment :) These are really a fun variation from granola bars because the texture is so different (i.e., crispy/ crunchy due to no oats or flour–they are even better than candy despite the small amount of sweetener added) I hope you give them a try! :)

5. Laura says

Made the Trio bars yesterday. Used coconut and honey. Found I needed slightly more (1 tbsp) honey to get everything to stick together. Also required freezing to set and allow the foil to come off with ease. Other than that they are a hit. Thanks for the recipe!

• Andrea Wellman says

That comment was written 2 years ago, she had not said no honey yet. No need to get snippy!

I’m making these right now with light karo syrup. Hope it works!

You mention not using rice krispies if you are gf, I read the ingredients and don’t see gluten. Am I missing it?

Thanks so much!

6. says

I was all hopped up last night, and made the Trio bars AND the clif bars. Yum! The clif bars were a piece of cake, and taste just right. The trio bars are incredible (they are my personal favorite bar) – but in the baking of them, they seemed to overcook the sesame seeds and the malt syrup (even though I under-baked it a bit). I’m wondering why you chose baking instead of cooking the syrups on the stove until bubbly… just curious, and trying to keep myself from eating all the results! Thanks so much for sharing these!

7. patty_downes@hotmail.com says

This is Patty and Bennett in Korea. We have enjoyed looking at your recipes. We will home for good next month.

8. says

Eralda: Oh, the number of power bars and granola bars I ate in the stacks at IU…May these power you through, friend!

Laura: I know I emailed and posted about your freezing tip–thanks again!

Jennifer: I’m wondering if your oven runs a bit hot? At 325, they should be good, but if your oven runs a bit hot (a lot of ovens do) you may want to set it 1t 300 next time or bake for a shorter time. I have a cheap little oven thermometer that I bought years ago (Bes bath and beyond)–it can really change your life re: baking once you know if your oven runs hot/cold and by how much :) As for why the oven–I wanted the nuts and seeds to get a bit toastier by baking. But would love to know if you try a stovetop method!

Patty & Bennet: Hi, dear cousins! Happy that you will be back stateside soon–would love to meet up with you. I’ll send a separate email :)

9. says

Hi Anonymous,

I didn’t toast the sesame seeds ahead of time and they got nice and toasty anyway (because so small). But, when I make these with sunflower seeds and/or pepitas, I definitely toast ahead of time or I go the lazy route and buy roasted seeds :)

10. says

Camilla, thank you so much for this recipe! I just made my second batch of almond/coconut (no seeds)…they are a huge hit in my house and so much easier than so many other bar recipes (even with toasting the nuts and coconut first). I have so many other recipes from your site flagged to try…if they are anywhere near as successful as these you will be my new hero :)

11. says

Alissa,

I am thrilled that you are having such success with the bars! My husband and son are addicted to them, too :) Thank you so much for taking the time to post a comment, it really means a lot!

12. says

Camilla,

Someone posted a link to this page on the Gluten Free Girl blog. I love Lara and Kind bars, so I clicked.

When I went to the “About Camilla” page I got the biggest smile on my face. I’ve cheered for you for a long time on the Food Network Channel! LOL.

Knowing this is your recipe, I will definitely give it a try.

Thank you. And thank you for all the fun I had watching you compete. :)

Elaine

13. says

I’m really excited to try this. I know I’ve shared my homemade Larabars with you in the past, and I can’t wait to attempt these because, like you, I am an energy bar junkie. I can’t get enough of them! And I love TRIOs but they are so expensive!
    Thanks!

14. says

Hi Camilla, I’m back – just made my 4th batch of these…still in love, and wanted to let you know that I’ve started making them with parchment paper instead of foil, and there is no sticking, even without spraying, and even before they’re completely cool (using brown rice syrup) :) Will be posting my variation soon with a link back to you!

15. Kathy says

I made these the other day with honey and I can’t stop eating them. I thought, hmmm…. these may be good crumbled up in a trifle, or as a bar topping, or inside scones, or….
    I did have an issue with them setting however. They are not cripsy, but gooey. Could it be because I used honey? I also doubled the recipe and put in a 13×9 inch pan. Any advice?
    They are wonderful, set or not. Thanks for sharing!

16. Kathy says

They are wonderful, set or not. Thanks for sharing!

17. says

Hi Kathy,

So glad you like them!

Yes, the use of honey is definitely what made them sticky instead of crispy. Brown rice syrup, cane syrup, malted barley syrup, or (gasp) corn syrup are key to crispy bars (it has to do with the crystallization of the sugars in the syrup when brought to a boil).

Cheers,

Camilla

18. says

Can’t wait to try these. Has anyone tried with maple syrup? I have that on hand as opposed to the others, and wondered if it might work. Thanks so much!

19. Marie says

Discovered your great site and recipe for Trio bars last night. After a little searching, I found some brown rice syrup, something I had never used before but now will never be without it. Followed your recipe exactly and it is fantastic! Finally I have a bar that is crunchy and not sticky. Thank-you so much for sharing.

20. says

I want to make a very low sugar/low glycemic index bar (for Type 1 Diabetic)– have you ever tried using Agave (or Stevia)?

21. rams says

Hi Camilla,

Awesome site and awesome recipes…i have a qquestion..can i use maple syrup in place of rice syrup.?

22. says

Thanks, Rams!

I have not tried the bars with maple syrup–but I think it should work because the crystalline sugar structure is close to brown rice syrup. If you try them and they work, I would love to know!

23. says

Oh I can’t wait to make these! I love kind bars and have a hard time finding the fruit & nut,& apple cinnamon bars. Have you tried to make the apple cinnamon?
    I will let you know how this comes out. I use the kind bars for my fuel on long runs! Thank you!

24. says

I can’t wait to try these…I have been making homemade granola bars for awhile now and would love to try these! Thanks for sharing.

25. Heather Hatton says

I found using my pizza wheel to cut the bars made it really easy to get through them. Love the recipe — thanks for posting it.

26. says

I just made these and they are delicious! I’m so glad someone else figured out this recipe because I was going to copy Kind bars. REALLY glad you did it for me! Thank you!!! XOXO

27. says

Just made these tonight. Big fan of Kind bars. Followed the main recipe listed above using: walnut, almond, brazilian nuts, cashews, regular and black sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seed (unground), dried apriocot, figs, and cranberry with the brown rice syrup. They turned out great-better than the original in my oppinion and easier on the wallet :) This recipe is a keeper. Thanks for sharing.

28. Anonymous says

Hi — LOVE your recipe and I cannot wait to try it. Have you tried the AGAVE with this? If not, can I use this?

Thanks,
    Laurie

29. says

Hi Laurie!

I hope you enjoy making the recipe!

I have not yet tried these with agave nectar, so if you do try it out, please let me know how it turns out.

I would caution, though, that it might not hold together; agave nectar has a different crystalline structure from the other syrup I have tested with; it has not worked well in some of my other energy bar recipes (does not hold the ingredients together).

Best,

Camilla

30. says

This recipe looks wonderful and obviously everyone has had a lot of success with it! I wonder if the honey version sticks together enough to still make bars or if it’s just too crumbly? I have sensitive teeth and although I haven’t tried this crunchy version yet, I was afraid it would be too hard on my teeth to enjoy repeatedly. I would love your to hear your thoughts…

31. Anonymous says

I particularly like the Kind Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew + Antioxidants. Has anyone experimented with bottom coating their bars? If yes, how do you do it. I am a beginner cook, so I need guidance in all recipes. – LGP –

32. Anonymous says

Just to make sure…I am only using ONE kind of syrup right? Because I found the brown rice syrup and don’t have the others

33. says

These came out AWESOME (Kind recipe). Next time I won’t toast the pumpkin seeds though… came out a bit too toasty after baking them. In fact, next time I might just heat the syrup in a sauce pan and then put them to set instead of baking.

I used dry roasted almonds (unsalted), salted sunflower kernels, dried sour cherries, white raisens, currants, thomas raisens, pumpkin (raw – which I toasted first), and chia seed.

I used light Karo syrup (in a pinch) with Agave and they held together great.

Thanks SO much!

34. says

I’m so glad I found this. I just tried a KIND bar for the first time and now have to make them at home! For the person asking about putting a layer of chocolate on the bottom, here is what I’m going to do. I’m going to bake them without the chocolate and then put melted chocolate over the top. Then when they cool and set, I will flip them over. I think if you put a layer of chocolate in the bottom of the pan, it will be a huge mess.

35. says

Lisa : Yay, glad the kind bars brought you here! Yes, definitely add the chocolate after. You could sprinkle chips or finely chopped chocolate on the bars right after they come out of the oven ; let them stand about 5 minutes and it willbe melted so you can spread it . Now I’ craving chocolate!

36. Michelle K says

I used Aguave and it didn’t hold together at all. However, it was great on top of yogurt so it would never go to waste. I got up early this morning to try again and this time I use baking syrup and then I will try again with brown rice syrup. I buy these all the time so to make them exactly how I like them is heaven to me!!!

37. says

I made this yesterday (Trio)! So good!!!! My first time ever using brown rice syrup. Though I was hesitant at first to buy it, because it is a bit pricey for my budget (and I had maple syrup & agave & honey at home anyways for other bars and such), but I am glad I did it, I am impressed how shiny and crunchy the bars are! Excellent recipe, I will be making this often! (Sooner than later as my bf ate half of the batch right away…) Have to try it with chocolate :-)

38. says

Hi Michelle! ‘Tis true, agave just does not work for this kind of bar–not the right crystalline structure to harden and hold the bar together. I am so sorry you had to learn the hard way, but glad you are being innovative and using it as a yogurt topping (YUM). You should not have any trouble with the brown rice syrup! :)

39. says

Hi there, Miss Lebowski! Yay, so glad you took the plunge to get the brown rice syrup. I COMPLETELY understand about the reluctance to purchase a new ingredient without knowing whether it is worthwhile. So glad you made the leap! It really is a versatile ingredient and works so well in recipes that typically call for corn syrup (important for holding things together, like these bars). Umm, and yes, I too have been known to eat multiple bars at once as I cut them up (oops, that on’e not perfect…better munch it up ) :)

40. KC says

Thanks for this great recipe! I would like to make the Almond Coconut Kind Bar. What measurements of almond and flakes coconut would you suggest?

41. says

I just recently had Kind Bars for the first time at Starbucks and I’m in love with them.

I immediately came home to do a search for a recipe and came across your site. These look fanatastic and although I’ve never tried the Trio I may make these without the seeds.

I also have an issue after reading numerous articles about brown rice syrup containing arsenic in it. So I’m not sure what I’ll do with that. May have to do new research on that product to see if they’ve made adjustments with it.

The kind bar I had waa in a blue package which I don’t see. I’ll have to pick another one up and try your recipe using those ingredients.

Thanks so much for all your exhaustive work. We will be heading to the mountains and these will be the perfect snack for our long hikes through the mountains.
    Thanks again, can’t wait to make theses.

42. says

How long would you say these need to cool before removing them in one piece from the foil?

I followed your instructions and after about one hour they still aren’t firm enough. I used Lyles syrup since I had some and you mentioned it worked perfectly. Just checking. Trying figure out where I may have gone wrong or if they just need more time to harden.

43. says

I’m just chiming in to say: the recipe is AWESOME! I just made my first batch.

Baking in foil, however, was *not* awesome. My bars did not peel easily away from the foil at all–it was a sticky mess, and I ended up having to gouge into several of them to get the foil off (it came off in tiny pieces). I either have to use thicker foil, or…I was wondering, why not use baking parchment?

44. says

Thanks for the recipe, my husband loves Kind Bars and I really wanted to make a homemade version. I made my own syrup using raw sugar and water for this, a lot less expensive than buying the cane sugar and it turned out great. We used to make our own syrup for pancakes when I was a kid.

45. Rams says

Camilla, I tried these bars yesterday and came out excellent. I’m making anoher batch right now.They just taste same as KIND bars but with moderate sweetness. I find KIND bars very sweet. I used combination of honey and brown rice syrup. They came out just perfect. Thank you so much for the excellent recipe.

46. Jess says

These are absolutely delicious! i MADE THEM WITH HONEY, AND THEY WEREN’T any stickier than the KIND bars. Putting them in the freezer worked really well. Thank you for the awesome recipe! I gluten sensitive, and couldn’t pay $2/bar for a healthy snack.

• Camilla says

Jess, I am so thrilled that they worked for you! I agree, it gets so pricey to buy the bars if you eat them with any regularity — all the best to you!

• Camilla says

I would love to know if you try it, Matthew! I have not worked with palm sugar syrup much, so I am not sure how it will work.

47. Christine says

I would love to know the nutritional values on your basic recipe! Carbs, proteins, fat etc. thanks

48. Sherri says

Just made them with maple syrup and they’re not holding together well. It was what I had so I gave it shot. Not too too bad though! Still taste delicious!

Hi Sherry,

Shoot, it’s true , maple syrup won’t work for these–you need a particular glucose structure that maple syrup and agave do no have have (and honey only works somewhat, when you stick them in the freezer). Brown rice syrup worked perfectly, but even KIND bars changed their formula within the last year (they no longer use it) because of the arsenic scare. I now make a homemade cane sugar glucose syrup, which sounds fussy, but i actually quite easy and super frugal compared to any other syrup. Here is the link for making it on the kitchn blog! http://www.thekitchn.com/pantry-staples-diy-cane-sugar-131934

49. Chhavi says

Thank You so so much!! I tried the Recipe and it came out great! I have tried many of your salad recipes with some changes and i love them. Thanks again

50. guam1954 says

Thanks millions for the Kind bar recipe, Camilla. I made them for my son and daughter a couple months back and they were very appreciative. They have been requested by my son again to take on his climb of Denali at the end of the month, He said to make plenty so he can share with other hikers. Gee, he won’t have to worry about storage since they will probably stay frozen!

• Camilla says

Oh, this thrills me! All the best to you, your daughter and yor son( Denali?!! WOW!) so true, he will have great storage the whole way! 😉

51. sarah says

These look delicious! I have a question you said that honey won’t work well for these but what about agavae nectar?! Thanks for your recipe!

52. Belkis says

Thanks for the recipe, the flavor is really wonderful. Couple of comments…i made my first batch using barley malt syrup and they were a little sticky (i think they needed to bake a little longer) but not a big deal. For my second batch I used cane syrup and it didn’t work all that well. I seems to be too much syrup, doesn’t hold together (although I use same amount) and the sugar never crystallized. Additionally, they were too sweet. 3rd batch cane + barley= less stickiness. Next time will use more barley than cane and see what happens… thaks

53. lily rudy says

I’ve used this recipe tons – especially for food during hikes or 3 hour exams. it’s really easy. i will make a double batch in a 13×9 pan, which will last quite a while. the nice thing about this is that I can use whatever ingredients I have on-hand – almonds, dried cherries, whatever!

54. dORIS says

I tried to make these with American made rice syrup. They came out gooy and fell apart, DID I NOT CHOP THE NUTS SMALL ENOUGH OR MAYBE NOT ENOUGH INGREDEINTS FOR SYRUP ? OR MAYBE NOT IN THE OVEN LONG ENOUGH. tHIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOING ANYTHING LIKE THIS.

Hi Ariel,

I am so sorry these did not turn out for you! I have not heard of brown rice syrup not working for these before. If it happens again, I would bake as usual, then try reducing the oven temperature to 250F and baking 5 minutes more (add more time as needed) to dry them out (they should not be sticky at all). All the best!

55. Stephanie says

I am SUPER excited to try your KIND bar recipe because I’m trying to not add too much added sugar into my diet, and I fell in love with the KIND bar: Dark Chocolate, Nuts & Sea Salt, which only has 5g of sugar. I think your recipe with just the nuts, then adding my own dark chocolate drizzle, will be the “copycat” winner! I wondered, however, some people asked about using honey, and I read a lot of comments saying you shouldn’t… but then in your instructions, it says on the KIND bar version, that it uses the honey instead of the brown rice syrup.. so I am supposed to use honey, right?? Just want to make sure. Thank you so much, I can’t wait to try them!

56. Oswaldo says

Thnaks so much for this recipe, my partner and I are starting to finally eat healthier and snacks/treats like these are perfect for keeping us on track! Can’t wait attempt my first batch this weekend!

57. Barb Harris says

thanks for this recipe….we love Kind bars but not the expense. Just made a batch of pistachio/cranberry/chocolate chip. so easy and so good!

• Camilla says

So happy to hear it, Barb! I am right with on both counts (love the bars, not the price :) )

58. says

I’m curious if Simple Syrup would work… you know sugar and water, equal parts, brought to a boil to make a syrup…?? Does it produce the same effect as cane syrup? Thanks.

• Camilla says

Hi Silly Mommy! Yes, a sugar syrup will work, but the sugar has to be a higher ratio to water than in most simple syrup recipes. The kitchn has a great basic glucose recipe that works great. I make it using natural cane sugar , both light colored and sometimes darker colors for a more caramel-like flavor Here is the link: http://www.thekitchn.com/pantry-staples-diy-cane-sugar-131934 Enjoy!

• Camilla says

Hi Erica! Good question–it would be nice if they had more protein. I haven’t tried it, but it would be worth making a mini-batch (perhaps half the quantity) to test it. You will need to be careful though: there is just enough liquid sweetener to hold the nuts and seeds together, so if you add too much of the protein powder (whey or vegan), you’ll end up with granola rather than bars. Just try a little bit to start, maybe up the sweetener a little, and see how it goes. OR….you can try adding a quick protein “frosting” or drizzle by mixing vanilla protein powder (or chocolate) with melted coconut oil (amounts will vary from one protein powder to another, but about 1:1 for the ratio, more or less). Spread drizzle or dunk the bars with the protein frosting, and chill until set (it will really harden from the coconut oil)–so yummy! Take care, Erica.

59. Rita says

Hi,
    Thanks for the recipe! I’ve made these twice with lyles golden syrup and both times the bars were extremely unformed (despite an extra 20 minutes in the oven). I’m wondering if you use the syrup taut comes in a tin or in a bottle. I used the latter and since I’ve heard that the bottle syrup is thinner I’m wondering if that may be the reason for my bars not setting. Thanks!

60. masa says

Hi :)
    just wondering if its okay to use a bigger pan without increasing the ingredient amount?
    i have a 9” x 10” pan but i don’t want to increase the ingredients :( would it still come out okay?

• Camilla says

Hmmm..it might be a little bit patchy in spots, but otherwise fine. Also, decrease the baking time slightly since the ingredients will be spread thinner :)

61. masa says

nevermind that question 😛 i found a cheap 8” x 8” pan i bought :) just one thing tho, can i use baking paper instead of foil?

62. deb says

Thanks for the great recipe. Trio bars are my favorite and I’m so glad to be able to make my own. I used the Lyle’s syrup,and doubled the recipe in a 13 x 9 pan. They were great but feel apart easily and weren’t as crunchy. Should they be baked longer when using a larger Pam?

63. Ann says

I tried this using what I “thought” was a light cane syrup.
    I heated 1 3/4 c sugar: 2 c water until dissolved. Bars didn’t stick together but tasted great!
    Do you have a recipe for homemade light cane syrup?
    Thanks for your great cooking.

64. says

Would it be worth trying organic agave nectar to substitute as the syrup? Or do you think it would be sticky as with the honey? Just curious, I’m going to make these bars soon! Thanks

• Camilla says

Hi Kevin! Alas, agave nectar definitely does not work–it does not have the right glucose structure. Brown rice syrup is another option, or organic/non-GMO corn syrup (it’s not high fructose)–e.g., the one by Wholesome Sweeteners:

65. Marcia says

Kind now has a line of bars called “healthy grains”. I am addicted to the Peanut butter Dark chocolate. Can you come up with a home recipe version? Yummmmy!

66. says

Hello! I love your recipe but an having trouble with them sticking even after I follow all your tips. I am using Lyle’s Golden Syrup. I tried baking them a little bit longer with the same result. the top looks great but all the syrup has settled to the bottom and is a sticky gooey mess. It tastes great but is challenging to get off the paper to wrap.

Thanks so much!

Hi Jen,

I revised the recipe (took off Lyle’s) because other people have had trouble with it, too. I retested with it and I think the American import has changed–it is much thinner than it was a few years ago. So sorry to have messed up your bars!

67. Hanna says

I used barley malt syrup and they ended up tasting pretty disgusting. This syrup just smells quite nasty…

68. says

Thank you for replying! It has been a while since I have had time to try again but will look at the revised recipe and give it another try! And you didn’t mess up my bars! They still turned out yummy and my oldest gobbled them up :-)

69. Tess says

A great recipe. I love to make DIY versions of supermarket foods. I used treacle (or in Dutch ‘keukenstroop’) and that worked perfectly. And I swapped 20 grams of nuts for 20 grams of oats.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

70. Tina says

These are really wonderful! I love that the brown rice syrup isn’t overly sweet. I like to make these with a mix of raisens/craisens/seeds/nut and drizzle a little chocolate on top. I set outside when it is cold to cool and then cut into pieces and I just put them in containers for a few weeks they seem to stay nice and crunchy fresh. So glad to find your recipes, wonderful and easy to make!

71. Angie says

I absoluelty love, love the trio bar recipe!!! Thankyou so much for sharing. We had a vegan staying with us for the summer, and he just loved them!

72. JB says

Finally! A bar recipe (template) that is crunchy and not gross chewy!
    Thank you so much! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. If all of the ingredients are not in need of refrigeration, why did you state “store … at room temperature for up to 2 weeks”? Is there an expiration for these bars?

Hi JB,
      Good question! They just last longer/stay fresher longer when stored in the refrig. (since they are not vaccuum-sealed like purchased bars). You can store them at room temp, too, for shorter time–and you do not need to refrigerate when transporting :)

73. Annette says

My grandson has multiple allergies and is able to eat the Trio bars. His mom I’m sure pays a lot for them so was nice to find a homemade recipe for them to hopefully cut the cost down.I have passed it on to her and also plan on making some myself. I have read all the previous postings and unless I missed it didn’t ( I saw a question but no answer I thought)see anything about using regular corn syrup. My apologies if this has been asked and answered already. Thank you

• Camilla says

Hi Annette! So glad you found the recipe. Yes, corn syrup works perfectly. I recommend wholesome sweeteners brand (not affiliated with them, I just love their products) because it is not high-fructose corn syrup and it is also organic. Cheers!

Trackbacks

1. […] of nuts, so I decided to make some nut bars, based on the Kind bars that I love so much. I followed this recipe, but mine DID NOT turn out as well as hers obviously did. Maybe I didn’t use enough corn […]