Fruit Seed & Nut Power Bars (no added sugar)

As promised in my Whole Wheat Quinoa Muffin post, I’m sharing the energy bars I made this past Sunday. Apologies for the delay, I’ve been under the weather. Running errands in another surreal day of snow yesterday (it’s not supposed to snow here!) exacerbated the situation. But it is gloriously sunny morning, and I’m feeling extra-energized after eating one of these yummy bars and slurping some hot masala chai.

I’ll be up and running around the kitchen later, so more deliciousness to come. Stay tuned!

Isn’t real food pretty?

Fruit, Nut & Seed Power Bars
Makes 8 bars
These bars are similar in texture to LARA bars (soft),but with a crunch from the greater proportion of nuts and addition of seeds. You can vary the dried fruits to your heart’s content, but I recommend keeping the dates as they work so well to hold everything together.

1 cup whole raw almonds with skins
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup dates
1/2 cup prunes
1/4 cup orange juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 300°F. Line an 8×8-inch square pan with foil.

Place the almonds, apricots, dates, and prunes in a food processor; pulse a few times until coarsely chopped. Add orange juice and salt; pulse until mixture starts to stick together. Add pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, pulsing a few times just to incorporate.

Scoop mixture into prepared pan. Using a large square of wax paper or plastic wrap, evenly press mixture into pan, using your palms to flatten.

Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.. Use ends of foil to lift bars from pan. Cut into 8 bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.

Nutritional Information Per Bar:

1. says

I’ve never tried making my own energy bars before, but I love the idea of being able to customize them to your heart’s content–yours look perfect!

2. says

Hi CaSaundraLeigh and Ricki:

I do hope you try them–they are really simple to throw together, and such a bargain compared to ready-made bars (and so much more delicious). I buy the seeds and nuts in bulk at the natural foods store.

Ricki: You might want to try my version of LARA bars, too–no bake, no added sugar, and so easy! I have a link to the recipe in this post (click on LARA bars)…Camilla :)

3. says

Hi Sue! Nice to hear from you :) I know my complaints of snow must sound ridiculous to someone in Minnesota! It’s just so unexpected here. Hope all is well your way…

4. says

I made the Larabars and Whole Wheat Quinoa Muffins this past week – both with success! I am looking forward to trying the new bars. I’m so glad I stumbled on your blog – I’ve shared it on my clean eating forum and with my mom. :)

5. says

Oh my goodness, i just found your blog and i love all the recipes you’ve posted…i’m definitely putting u on my reader so I can get inspired to make my own goodies! Thank you for this fruit and seed nut bar…looks awesome!

6. says

Hi Miranda!

You can use just about any liquid; I would do milk (dairy or nondairy), even a bit of lemonjuice and water if you have thatin the fridge. :)

7. says

Post going up tomorrow morning: made the bars, subbed P.B., milk, and honey for the OJ. I think they held together okay.
    Thanks for the recipe!

8. says

Camilla, I made these this week and wanted to let you know how much I LOVE them. They are so delicious and I’m blogging about them. I want to tell everyone about them.

My title is, Better Than Lara Bars because they really are. I made them just as you did. I used non-sulphered apricots so I don’t have the beautiful orange color that you do in your picture, but they still look beautiful. I’m going to send everyone I know to your website for the recipe. :)

By the way, I’ve seen you on the Food Network and always cheered you on during their food challenges. You have a sweet smile and personality – if I see you on there in the future, I’ll be cheering for you.

I didn’t realize you had cookbooks and a website and etc. I hope that you’ll work on a vegetarian/vegan cookbook. Please say you will. :) I’ve looked through some of your recipes on here and many of them can be adapted to the way I eat and some don’t need to be changed at all.

If you’re interested, I eat Dr. Fuhrman’s diet. His book is “Eat To Live” and “Eat For Health.” He has other books as well, but I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am that you create recipes that I can make/eat.

Dr. Fuhrman’s protocol is greens, beans, fruits, nuts/seeds with little to no processed foods – whole food products with little to no sodium. That’s it in a nutshell.

I’m so excited that I found you on here and that you share some of your recipes.

I’ll be trying some of your other recipes and comment on those too! The brownies look sooooo good. Can’t wait to try them.

9. Susan says

My kids and I recently made a double batch of these. The colors were beautiful, and we really liked the orange flavor with the nuts and fruits. We did have trouble with them falling apart, but we’re just enjoying them sort of like a crumbly granola (I just made the kids eat it outside since it’s so crumbly). Thanks!

10. Anne says

wow! these are awesome!
    I didn’t have any dates nor prunes on me so instead i used raisins and tart cherries, and it still stuck together fairly nicely :)
    I added sesame seeds to the batch as well as a little brown rice syrup ( to make up for the stickiness of the dates)
    I was feeling flirty too, so i used half a cup of almonds and then the rest assorted nuts…
    I mixed in a little bit of plain hemp seed protein powder too, to amp up the protein!
    Thanks for the great recipe!!!
    My friends and family think im a genius for making my own homemade bars :)

11. says

I made all versions of these bars. I love this blog! I posted pictures of my creations from this blog and shared it with all my cyclist friends looking to eat whole foods and healthy.

12. Lina says

Hi! I saw your cooking videos on YouTube, and I’m very impressed! I decided to check out your blog; I find it to be amazing, not to mention that I already tried a few of your recipes, including this one. They were all awesome, but a made some tweaks to this recipe. I exchanged 1/4 cups of almonds for the same amount of flax seed, used dried figs instead of prunes, and only used a tiny sprinkle of sea salt. They were still delicious, and I love how it’s way cheaper and healthier than actually buying brand name bars.

13. says

OOohhh I’ve never commented on someones blog before, but I found this recipe afer googling homemade fruit and seed bars and have just made some!

They are so yummy! Thank you for sharing :)

How long can they be stored in the fridge for?

14. says

I am so thrilled to see that so many of you have bee trying and loving these bars!

Kaytee: I would recommend storing in the refrig, about 2 weeks (tightly wrapped in plastic wrap). But honestly, I once forgot about 2 I had in the nether regions of the refrig and they were still yummy after 3 weeks.

15. Becky says

I am excited to find this recipe, I have been experimenting with making my own energy bars with not much success so far. Thanks also for putting the nutritional info in. That is a huge help.